[C38] difficulty starting

Patrick Harpole 1derful at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 00:21:31 EST 2010

Thank you for advice
Patrick
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Epstein
  To: Catalina 38 Listserve
  Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:18 AM
  Subject: Re: [C38] difficulty starting

  Patrick,

  One possibility is the wiring to the glow plugs and/or the switch.   The later models include a solenoid for the glow plugs so that the higher current (about 20a for all three plugs) is not reliant on the wiring harness and the switch itself.  In my online search, I learned that people reported a huge difference in the effectiveness of the glow plugs after installing a solenoid, and a much shorter "warm up" before starting.  I am in the process of installing such a solenoid on SuperStar along with replacement of the engine control panel.

  Did you change the engine mounted fuel pump, or the electric "lift" pump?  Also, do you have problems starting when the engine is warm, or only when it is cold?

  David Epstein
  SuperStar #122
  Marina del Rey