[C38] Catalina 38 Questions

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 11 09:46:11 EST 2010

Dear Rob:
Our C38 is Discreet Charm, 1980 model hull #50. Your client can see her
at http://discreetchar.blogspot.com/

The keel bolts are original, bright and clean. As far as we can tell the
plywood is still down there under the 1/2 or so of fiberglass mat. The
bolts sit proud and have not sunk one bit. This indicates to me that the
plywood is dry. We haul every 4 years and have but the tiniest of
"Catalina smile," which is easy to fill and repair. The most common
water in the bilge is fresh, from rain in winter (which enters down the
mast) and from ice box drainage. I try to keep the bilge dry, but
regularly add a cup of table salt to the bilge to keep its contents
salty. Salt slows fungal growth, and were there to be a leak through the
fiberglass, the resulting plywood rot would be slowed.

The chain plates begin to leak every 5 years or so and need recaulking.
Recaulking is pretty simple and easy. The deck is stiff around the chain
plates after 30 years, and I thank previous owners for their attention
to this important, infrequent need. Same for the back stay; it does not
leak, the wood block is dry and there is no rot back there.

The rudder tube is worn, and shimmed with both teflon and brass. It does
not leak because I learned, after two failed attempts, how to replace
the stuffing in the rudder tube stuffing box. This is a difficult,
frustrating operation on the C38 because of the damn pinched stern.

We don't have a windlass. I and am fortunate to be able to haul the
anchor chain manually. My wife is skilled on the helm, and motors up the
anchor line like an old Navy Chief.

No baby stay.

Don and Karin Strong
C38 Discreet Charm