[C38] Catalina 38 Questions

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 13:06:22 EST 2010

Rob,
There is more information than [you'll] ever want to know about these topics
and more in the "archives" found at the bottom of our website (
http://www.catalina38.org/).  Some of our recent discussions have dealt the
rudder post and the bilge, a year or two ago there was a discussion about
adding a "through-deck" windlass, and others have gotten into anything and
everything about our boats.

I also have a 1980 model, #64 and it is still basically rigged with original
equipment (not that I wouldn't mind several upgrades...but the point is that
there haven't been repairs due to re-rigging).  That said, while the
windlass and furler have seen better days, the integrity of the boat (hull,
deck, keel, etc, etc) is top notch.  Being in New England she's spent her
winters on the hard and after 30 years of use, I know of no de-lamination
due to water expansion in the core material.

Finally, I haven't sailed a 380, but after 40 years of sailing I've been on
a lot of boats and I can objectively say that the C38 is a great ride that
nearly sails itself.  Oh, and having a cabin the size of a dance hall makes
the non-sailing part a pleasure as well.

Steve Ribble
Tittravate, C-38 #64
Boothbay Harbor, ME

Steve Ribble