[C38] Catalina 38 Questions

Marc Stewart mstewart at sounddsl.com
Sat Dec 11 13:18:50 EST 2010

Rob,
Palancar, #26, resides at Liberty Bay Yacht Club, Poulsbo (we're on
Bainbridge Island).  From your list:
- our propane storage can handle 2 5-gallon bottles that sit in a
drop-in locker athwart and forward of the transom.  This also serves
as a helmsman seat.  The locker/box was built into the boat and a
piano-hinge-mounted lid covers the large space that include the
locker (w/ built-in scuppers).

- keel bolts:  save the the forward-most which is unaccessible now as
a result of a permanent deck built over it by the previous owner, the
remainder are clean.  I had them tightened a few years ago, and they
were then pretty snug.  Also had several small pilot holes drilled to
look into the wet plywood problem, and ... found it in the form of
seepage from a few of the holes.   Solution: for now, ostrich trick.
I get the smile - not huge - when I haul.  Palancar is out for a long
term at the moment, so I'll see what's left of the smile come the
first week in January.  Hasn't been a problem.

- reason for haul-out:  list-serve may recall that I recently
reported a problem with a non-standard faring over the propeller
strut that generated some bad pitting discovered when we hauled the
boat 11/11.   Catalina wasn't as concerned about the strut as the
boat yard was (I'm probably not going to use them again) but the
cutlass bearing was worn out as well.  To replace the cutlass bearing
either required pulling the strut w/ shaft or the rudder.  The rudder
on a 38 (as noted by Don Strong) is a pain of highest order to deal
with properly.  So I bit off the strut replacement to also address
the cutlass bearing problem.  Reliable technical advice suggests
these bearings last about 10 years on a sail boat - which is why I
opted not to just put the boat back in the water.  Anyway, most 38's
don't have this extraneous extra faring along the keel that envelopes
the strut.  I'm paying ridiculous $$ (which I'm contesting) to have
the remainder of this faring removed and the bottom/keel from
propeller shaft hole to the strut restored to normal conditions.  I
will have the yard put a small zinc on the propeller strut; non-
standard, but there's no spec-based corrosion protection on this
component.

-  windlass - no gots, but I'm starting to think I'd like one.

- chainplates:  same story as Don's

- rudder:  see ostrich trick above; actually, I use a grease gun now
and then applied through a zirc accessible through the quadrature

- baby stay/track:  no gots

- windows:  mine leak a titch on one side - probably sun-heating/
cooling related.  Not enough that a towel can't deal with most of the
time.

- toe rail:   I have some nasty pitting corrosion attacking the lower
outer edge outboard the aft stbd pulpit stantion.   The cause
mystifies as there's no difference between that location and any
other where a stantion is in proximity to the anodized aluminum toe
rail.  Perhaps it's an example of anodization going away, but it's
surely gone elsewhere, and I'm not seeing that problem anywhere else.

- holding tank, fresh water tank, fuel tank, etc:  Palancar is
coastal, i.e., I don't have  large enough tankage for long-haul
trips.  Water ~35 gal; holding ~21 (stock C38 tank); fuel 12 gal

- engine/propulsion: Palancar was repowered in ~2005 w/ a nice 36HP
Yanmar + maxi-prop.

Marc Stewart

"We need to learn, in these challenging days, that to every right
there is attached a duty and to every privilege an obligation.  May
we all learn the lesson that it is not the right to do as we please,
but the opportunity to please to do what is right."  The Reverend
Peter Marshall, chaplain of the U.S. Senate 1947-1949

Marc Stewart
mstewart at sounddsl.com