[C38] Heat Exchanger?!

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Sat Jul 2 03:45:24 EDT 2011

So for whatever reason I decided I'd take apart the heat exchanger and see
if it was clogger or rotted out or whatever.

When I opened it up, the gasket was encrusted and so deformed it looked
like a custom made gasket for the piece.

Took it home. Boiled it in vinegar. Rinsed. Got a new gasket, hooked all
the hoses back up, fired up the engine and conservatively I'd say at least
4 times the amount of water was coming out the back end of the boat.

Before the tear down I did a cold-start log of the temperature climb.
After putting it all back together (thermostat is still out) it was
unchanged at 130 after 20 minute. So later today I'll to the same and see
if there's any change.

THEORY:

I think I did have a bubble problem. We be puttering across the lake,
engine on only a few minutes then *bam* the temp would suddenly climb.
Shut down, engine still cool, open the pressure cap, scratch head. Resolve
to never use engine ever again. I think (hope!) all the flushing,
cleaning, rinsing fixed that.

Meanwhile I think the heat exchanger performance was degrading. So instead
of sudden overheats, I was getting about an 60-70 minutes from dead cold
to 190.

Anyway. We'll see what happens later today.

Then on to the leaky injector...