[C38] Engine repair update

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:24:01 EDT 2011

-- This is what I have found so far on the my 5424 engine,

The radiator cap base is made out of bronze, and it has been tin soldered to
the manifold..   I removed the old tin with a blow torch, and then, after
cleaning it with a wire brush, I noticed about five cracks... the base was
gone, so , I took it to a radiator shop and for $10 they gave me a new one,
same size.....(I wasn't aware that this were available).
So, I just have to solder it back or just glue it with some epoxy like
marine-tex... I will take the guy to do the job on the boat, since the space
is limited, he might not be able to solder it all the way around, but at
least it will have a strong attach to the manifold, if there are any leaks,
some epoxy will do the job...

My advise, everybody should take a good inspection on the cap base,
especially if they are as old as mine and are using their boats for
cruising...
The cracks on the base were invisible until I cleaned it real good.....

Hope this helps..

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Ricaed