[C38] Westerbeke Parts

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Fri Aug 5 02:07:02 EDT 2011

Does anyone have the contact information Tom T. gave us a year or so ago for the company where we can buy discounted universal/kubota parts?

FYI for everyone, Larry is having difficulties on his return from Hawaii,  700 miles out their starter motor burned up and they have been unable to use the engine for charging or propulsion.  They are saving the batteries (he has 440 amps house and a start battery) for water maker and satelitte phone charging.   They have about 1600 miles to go, are heading to Monteray Bay and have a fantastic team of people at home routing and providing course and weather information to them during daily check ins.   They have isolated the 440 amps into two banks so as to extend the power, saving the second half for water making later in the voyage, they are rationing current water at 2 liters pers day per person.  They are making two gallons of water a day, filling two containers and saving their 12 gallons of emergency water and thier tank for when and if they use up their power.   Their batteries as of yesterday were at 12.7v  so my fuzzy math assuming 10-15 amps to run the water maker per hour gives them over a week longer than they need to complete the estimated 15 day return, before using the water in their tanks and emergency reserve.  The start battery has been isolated for exclusive use of charging the sat phone  (assuming a 12v with 110 amps and the phone uses 1.5amps to charge and when fully charged provides something like 8 hours of talk time, no problems there).   Food and water do not seem to be a problem and they are making progress through the portion of hte high they currently find themselves in, all reports seem to point to them getting out of the high tomorrow.   The ground based team has secured moorage and a tow when they get close enough to Moss Landing and they are also working on securing the spare parts needed to replace the starter when they land so that a fresh crew can continue the trip to Long Beach.

No need to worry as Larry is a good skipper and his team at home is top notch, but none the less I know those working to get him home would still appreciate your prayers and thoughts for their safe trip.  If anyone has any suggestions that you feel might be helpful pass them along to me and Ill pass them along to the support team.  Thanks everyone.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle