[C38] FW: 8/6/2011 1300 PDT Hassle update

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Aug 7 02:09:17 EDT 2011

Passing along an update from Team Hassle.  I passed along the suggestion to jump the solenoid not sure if that is what got their motor going or not but the next day they got it started, as you can see below its not an ideal situation but at least they have the ability to recharge and make additional water.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle

Hi All
He is David's Email for today.
Keep the Faith

Tamara J. Summers

________________________________

Hassle called at 1300 PDT and I spoke to Larry.

*	Their current position is 35 38.9N 149 25.5W. This is east of where we advised that they head yesterday. Please see the map below.
*	They covered almost 90 miles yesterday in variable winds
*	The wind is currently about 10 knots from the east and they are making around 6 knots on a course of 000. I advised them to head north on a course of 345 and to fall off to the west if possible. I told them that they would need to be up around 42-44 before they would see the westerly winds.
*	They are now able to start the engine; however the electrical system quickly overheats, apparently from excessive charging. They suspect that the starter motor is still engaged and acting as a generator. Since they have bypassed the fuses, this is a dangerous situation and they can only run the engine for around 20 minutes at a time.
*	They are making water, using each of the house batteries sequentially. A battery at full charge is able to produce about four gallons of water.
*	They have been fishing and so far have caught 2 Dorado.

Other items:

*	Next to each of the parts, I've indicated the person who volunteered to get them. We still need volunteers for the start switch and the fuel separator filters.
*	Adrian and Larry will stay aboard the boat and bring it to Long Beach. Caleb and John will probably get of at Moss Landing. So there are 2 - 4 slots available for the return crew.

Parts required:

*	DK - 4 - ANL 150 fuses
*	JM - 1 - Starter motor part number is #200948 the engine is a Westerbeke Universal B M-25XPB. (Kubota)
*	1 - Push button start switch
*	DJ - 2 - Auto float switches for the bilge pump
*	DK - 1 - Package 10-12 gauge butt connectors
*	2 - Fuel separator filters

Notes:

*         The red track is Expedition's proposed track to route them around the high.

*         The wind barbs are as of this afternoon. Although the route appears to be directly through the high, there will be significant changes in the location of the high over the next few days.

*         The marks with dates reflect Hassle's actual location on that date.

*         The computer estimate of time to Moss Landing is around 14 days.

David Kraai

President