[C38] FW: 8/6/2011 1300 PDT Hassle update

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 9 09:49:09 EDT 2011

Wow!  I have never heard of a starter armature not coming apart when the starter Bendix didn't disengage.  The low RPM's of our engines has probably saved the day because in a higher RPM car that starter wouldn't be fit even for a core exchange.

This is truly good news, even if they are now experiencing overcharging from that "generator" starter.  Hopefully the starter and ring gear will hold up long enough to get them home.

As a side note, if Larry does end up having to replace the ring gear after he gets home, it will be a good time to get rid of the steel flex plate on the flywheel and replace it with a PYI synthetic flex plate.  The original flex plates on our boats tend to fatigue the springs over time and when the springs do break apart, there is no positive contact left to turn the transmission.   The engine just feels like it is in neutral and those little pieces of springs just go around and around making a mess of the bell housing.  I know, it has happened to me and others I have spoken to.  The PYI flex plate has positive engagement even if the synthetic damping material fails so you keep on going regardless.  I also replaced my Universal shaft coupling with a PYI synthetic coupling at the same time and the engine became much smoother at all speeds.  It was like adding more cylinders to the engine, there was no comparison to the original components.  I can't say which of the two components made the most improvement but as a pair, the results were nothing short of wonderful.

Keep us posted on Larry, thanks.

Tom Troncalli