[C38] Twin Disc direct replacement for Hurth or ZF tranmissions

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:12:35 EDT 2011

Hi everybody,

For those who are planning to replace the Hurth HBW100 or newer ZF  M10 from
the Universal 5424, M35 and  25XP series, according to some marine engine
manufacturers and some forums, these new ZF trannys are now half as strong
and reliable as our old long lasting Hurths....
I was told that the place that makes all the internals is not the same and
this is what made the huge difference.
 When I was quoting, I was told by the engine sales person  to buy the
bobtail engine and install my old transmission instead of the new ZF10 that
they use, or go to the new Twin Disc MG340.  The twin disc MG340 is the
right replacement for our engines, and is what Phasor MArine and Betamarine
are recommending now after so many problems with  customers that were using
ZF10....
They share the same foot print, shaft and coupling measures, so,  same
damper plate and bellhousing adaptor can be used. Engine just has to be
raised 5mm and shifting cable routed to port of the tranny,  and that's it.
They are supposed to be stronger and more reliable. Plus, they are a few
bucks cheaper.  I know it because I just bought one for a friend with a
Perkins engine...

http://www.twindisc.com/MarineProducts/MarineTransSeries_mg_340.html

Again, this is just what I have been told, but after checking some forums,
it appears to be true..... If planning to go this way, please do your own
research... But hopefully, this will help some of you..

Regards,

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica