[C38] Twin Disc direct replacement for Hurth or ZF tranmissions

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Mon Sep 19 09:14:07 EDT 2011

/Max,
This looks very much like the Beta Marine transmission I installed this
summer! *TECHNODRIVE Twin Disc TMC 40 P transmission, /NEW: US $1,098.00 /*
*/from http://soundmarinediesel.com/transmissions.shtml/*
*/My original Hurth ZF failed last summer and I had it rebuilt.  Whole
job cost about $3000 and took more than a month.  It failed again this
summer with less than 40 hours total on the transmission.    I don't
know whether the second failure  was due to a bad rebuild or shoddy
workmanship by Shelburne Boatyard (of the 8 bolts that hold the
transmission to the engine, 3 were so loose they were removed without a
wrench).  Our webmaster (Anders) removed the Hurth transmission the
second time around and it took him 45 minutes. /*
*//*
*/I did have problems with the original Beta transmission sent (it would
not reliably shift into forward), but the folks at sound marine diesel
were so accommodating that despite having to switch it out I would still
recommend them.  They spent a couple hours on the phone with me and even
sent the replacement without charging me for having two of their
transmissions in my possession  (I wanted the replacement on hand so I
could change it out when I had the time)./*
*/You should also be aware there is a 1/4 inch difference in the height
of these transmissions.  For those of us keeping the 5424, this requires
we lower the engine a 1/4 inch.  This can be challenging, given where
our motor mounts are and the fact most folks will find the nuts and
threads are in rough shape.  Speaking of motor mounts!  I highly
recommended that you change out your motor mounts and install a flex
coupler when changing the transmission!  You can pretty much bet your
motor mounts need replacing after 10 years and some engine manufacturers
recommend half that time.   Another reason to change your motor mounts
during transmission work is there is a lot more room back there to work
without the transmission in the way and it takes about 40 pounds off the
motor lift.
And don't let a boatyard tell you you need to pull the boat to do this!
I paid for three lifts ($900) because Shelburne Boatyard insisted this
was necessary. They said the prop shaft would have to be removed to make
room.  After disconnecting the drive shaft coupling, put a hose clamp on
the end of the shaft and slide it back until there is enough room to
work on the transmission  (the hose coupling ensures you don't
accidentally let the shaft slide out of the boat).

Yes, Steve, I need to write this up as a tech article!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes/*/*/*/

**//**