[C38] Transmission Fluid

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Mon Nov 21 12:25:10 EST 2011

Good Morning fellow C-38 care takers!  I'll be doing our first
transmission servicing this weekend (Hurth on an M-30) and was wondering
about the correct transmission fluid to use.  The manual says "Type A"
which has not been in use for years and I was wondering if a type F or
Dextron II (or III or IV) is acceptable or is there a better
alternative.  The fluid currently appears grey, like an uncolored oil so
I'm not sure what the PO was using.  And there was a quart of similar
fluid hidden in the aft locker when we bought the boat but the label was
gone.  Maybe he was running something different??

Thanks Much!   Jay