[C38] Halyards

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 10 15:09:18 EST 2011

Hi, Jay,
	One thing I should note about the sta-set X.  It is quite rough on the
hands.  That outer braid is stout and chafe resistant, so Nancy and I
both use the sailing gloves when handling it for any lifting work. It
hasn't cut us, but it is extremely irritating to bare skin when loaded.
But it works great, no splice and so on.  Splicing it is more difficult
as well.  I had a lot of work to get the eye splice in the end of it.
There are specific instructions on the New England Ropes site that will
help.  It doesn't hold a whipping well either.  Make sure you allow
about 1 line diameter between the whipping and the end of the line.  It
does seal with heat.  But I have found that it kind of breaks over time,
so a whipping helps.

Strong is definitely the operable word.

Regards,
Les H