[C38] Halyards

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Tue Jan 11 15:53:38 EST 2011

Thanks everyone.

OK, It seems like there are a lot of people using the original style
sheaves with new, all rope, halyards.  I've had the main halyard as all
Sta-Set X for almost a year and it seems fine but after seeing a
Beneteau on a recent race have to drop out after almost 6 hrs of racing
with a failed main halyard I became concerned.  I have two new jib
halyards and a new spin halyard and I thought if it was easy enough to
pop out the old sheaves and put in new ones using messenger lines to
minimize the load I would do it.  But it looks like I can stay with the
current system at least until next years haul out when I plan to pull
the mast to do other work.

And yes, the eye splice instructions on the New England Ropes website
are great, but you are also right that the Sta-set X line is hard to
work with.  I thought it was only me!

Jay