[C38] More good news and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Jan 12 17:25:38 EST 2011

This is a bit late, but we folks up in the frozen north with our boats
on the hard tend to compensate by heading south.  I decided that given
we have 2 of our members (Larry Malmberg & Steve Smolinske) racing in
this years Transpac, that it would be a good idea to check out their
destination.  Having just returned, I can happily report that Hawaii is
still there and it is much warmer than northern New York!
_____________________
As any of you who look at the Mainsheet, C38 masthead know, we have been
missing a Vice Commodore.  Well, someone has agreed to serve who is well
known to all of us.  Max Soto "burst" onto the C38 scene several years
ago and immediately started gathering information and designing
innovations for his "ESTANCIA."   Max's enthusiasm went so far as to
travel from Costa Rica to Catalina Yachts, where he somehow got away
with untold copies of C38 drawings and specs.  Max then scanned all them
an donated this information to our Association, where you will find then
on our website.  We all are aware of his recent entry into racing as well!
So, Welcome aboard Max! and thank you for stepping forward!  You get to
fly the Vice Commodore flag under your C38 Burgee (you have to buy it of
course).
______________________________
Just to make it formal, I would like to formally announce that Tom
Troncalli has agreed to serve as "Technical Editor Emeritus."   We have
never had this position, but then we didn't need it....   Tom Retired as
our Technical Editor about a year ago and I have to say this was a MAJOR
change for us as Tom certainly has forgotten more about how our yachts
work than many of us know!  When someone steps down and sells their
boat, you expect that is the last you will see of them... but not Tom!
As all of you are aware, he continues to be a major contributor to our
discussions.  I know we all look forward to his continuing interest and
contributions!
__________________________
In the meantime, our Technical Editor, Steve Smolinske continues to
deliver some truly amazing innovations and sage advice.  Our listserve
traffic grew again last year (as it has every year since we launched in
2005) to 1226 posts.  Steve all by himself is responsible for more than
140 contributions that are informative, friendly and sometimes downright
funny!  Thank you Steve, for all the help!

Happy New Year and Happy Sailing!
Chuck Finn
Commodore
Catalina 38 International Association