[C38] New Topic: Dinghys

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Fri Jan 14 20:46:00 EST 2011

OK, I'm sort of dubious about asking this question.

Now that the boat is looking good and safe the family of 4 is planning on a 10 day or so cruise to Catalina, Santa Barbara, and San Clemente Islands here in So. Cal this summer.  I have done the trip before delivering  boats to Santa Barbara, Marina del Ray, Long Beach, etc. for races and have always used the local shore boat to get ashore.

But first mate Dorothy likes the concept of instant access to the shore for her jogs, dining, etc.  And what the first mate wants, the first mate gets.  Maybe I should start calling her Admiral..............

We have a tandem kayak but that is not a stable way to leave the boat.  We've tried!

Anyway, probably like others out there I don't want to spend a lot of $$ for something that will not be used often.
We don't need a high power planing dinghy because the anchorages are all close to where we want to go ashore.

I'm thinking about either a 10' Haypalon inflatable with a < 10hp engine and a soft bottom or a 12' folding boat with a similar or smaller motor (after someone on the board said they used one.)  Together we all weigh apx 600lb so we are approaching the upper limit of the 12' porte-a-boat.  Used ones are less expensive here and may stow better on the raiing??  But do you get what you pay for??

We do not have davits, and will store it on the foredeck during crossings.  The ability to roll up the dinghy and not deal with floorboards seems like it would be a benifit.  But a folding boat stored across from the kayak seems like a nice balance.

So what do you have out there and what do you think will work for our first dinghy?

Thanks!

Jay & Dorothy Sorensen
C-38 #311 Broad Reach
San Diego, CA