[C38] New Topic: Dinghys

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 21:43:40 EST 2011

We use an old Avon built BoatUS 10 hypalon RIB with an old 10hp Honda 4
stroke outboard.

With two adults, we can plane at about 22 mph.  The boat works well with a
30lb trolling motor for quiet anchorages and it rows well also.  We have
used both the trolling motor and oars to take our dogs to shore for their
walks, often in crowded anchorages where the quiet trolling motor is very
appreciated.  The Honda idles extremely quietly also but it is harder for
my wife to start vs. turning a tiller handle on the trolling motor.

The 10' RIB stows easily on the fore deck of a 38 allowing room to walk
around it to gain access to the bow.  We placed the transom of the RIB on
the cabin top against the mast which allowed the RIB to cover the fore
hatch  allowing use of the hatch in rainy weather.

My 1995 tender rig is old now but there are other combinations available
that offer similar performance and safety.

We have a smaller O'Day 8' dinghy that sails, rows and has a motor mount
with a 3hp kicker or the trolling motor. It's much lighter than the RIB but
it is easily swamped in rough seas or heavy payloads while the RIB can
carry 6 adults safely if needed.

There is nothing like the security and convenience of having a fast dinghy
to get you from your secluded anchorage to civilization where you can
re-supply needed essentials like beer, etc, or have a nice dinner several
miles away otherwise out of reach with the 38.

Tom Troncalli

Islands
> > here in So. Cal this summer.  I have done the trip before delivering
> > boats to Santa Barbara, Marina del Ray, Long Beach, etc. for races and
> > have always used the local shore boat to get ashore.
> >
> > But first mate Dorothy likes the concept of instant access to the shore
> > for her jogs, dining, etc.  And what the first mate wants, the first
mate
> > gets.  Maybe I should start calling her Admiral..............
> >
> > We have a tandem kayak but that is not a stable way to leave the boat.
> > We've tried!
> >
> > Anyway, probably like others out there I don't want to spend a lot of $$
> > for something that will not be used often.
> > We don't need a high power planing dinghy because the anchorages are all
> > close to where we want to go ashore.
> >
> > I'm thinking about either a 10' Haypalon inflatable with a < 10hp engine
> > and a soft bottom or a 12' folding boat with a similar or smaller motor
> > (after someone on the board said they used one.)  Together we all weigh
> > apx 600lb so we are approaching the upper limit of the 12' porte-a-boat.
> > Used ones are less expensive here and may stow better on the raiing??
But