[C38] New Topic: Dinghys

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Fri Jan 14 23:01:08 EST 2011

I'll say amen to it being very nice to have a fast dinghy for exploring.
When we were in the Bahamas a RIB and Caribbean we had airfloor (didn't
like the way RIB stowed on deck so I got a roll up for best storage on the
long offshore passage) both powered by the same antique 15 hp two stroke.
Lots and lots of great adventures in both dinghies. If you're going to be
adventuring, a RIB or airfloor is a great option.

But air boat row for shit. In fact, they are just awful in the extreme. A
failed engine and a long row into the wind and you'd better have a radio
and anchor with enough rode to reach the bottom. (I carried a 7 pound
danforth, 10 feet of chain and 120 feet of line, a radio, GPS, a gallon of
fresh water, and flares at all times.)

Also, if you're mostly commuting to and from shore, the vast majority of
your time is spent embarking and debarking from the dinghy; far more time
getting in and out, tying off, hauling up the beach. What I discovered
this Summer is that the time "saved" between a good pulling boat and a RIB
running flat out was trivial; plus I didn't spend any time fussing with
the motor, plus rowing is pleasant, quite, and makes you strong. Plus
airboats are wet if there's any sort of chop. A good pulling boat will be
much drier.

Not saying a Ruben's Nymph or Portland Pudgy is better; just different in
a way that's worth considering!