[C38] New Topic: Dinghys

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 15 07:59:20 EST 2011

I'm enjoying the different takes on dinghies.

Like most things, there is no "one shoe fits all" approach to dinghy
selections.

After seeing some of the replies on this forum, I'm surprised at some
mention personal experiences of tow ability vs. launch ability of various
dinghies.

Our RIB towed very well, even with the outboard and fuel.  At any speed
that produced a stern wake, we would tether the boat so that it would ride
the leading edge of the stern wake and surf behind us.  We used a double
bridle to tether the dinghy straight and at times the dinghy bridle would
go slack as the dinghy tried to catch up to us by surfing down the stern
wake.

We could often travel faster towing than with the motor stowed on the stern
rail and the dinghy stowed on the bow.  It seems the extra weight on the 38
reduced our speed overall more than the speed loss from towing when we had
a stern wake.

The transom plug on the RIB is a one-way flapper valve so any water in the
dinghy is self bailing.  Even in rough seas, the RIB never took in any
water anyway so the only water it received was if it rained and the self
bailing drain plug took care of that.

We sold the 38 but we still have the 10' RIB, along with several other
dinghies.  The RIB is by far our favorite because of its volume, dryness,
easy towing, speed and unlike the experiences of others, our RIB is very
easy to row.  Not all brands are alike.

We had a neighbor on our dock with another brand RIB and his neither towed
well or rowed well.

As I said, no dinghy is perfect for all occasions but for me, the RIB we
have is as close as I will get.

Because of the exceptional stability of the RIB, we have no problem getting
people on and off.  We have a smaller hard shell dinghy that is very tender
in similar conditions.  Some of our guests have been older sailors and
getting them on and off was a fright with the less stable dinghies.

Tom Troncalli
Extreme Boataholic