[C38] Companionway doors project on its way...

Joey Baker motoreplay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:44:03 EST 2011

When I bought euphoria this past summer, the hatch boards were deteriorated
to the point of being unusable.  I didn't want to spend too much money on it
at the time so I picked up some King Starboard from a local marine lumber
supplier and used the dimensions of the teak pieces to replicate them with
the Starboard.  As you can see in the attached photo, the wood trim is in
very poor shape.  I'm trying to decide if I should go with composite and/or
stainless replacements.  The Starboard material doesn't have a smooth
surface and can be difficult to keep clean.  That is why I went with the off
white color.  I was thinking of fabricating molds for the trim pieces and
have them laid up by a local shop that does fiberglass work.  I think that
would look decent if the gelcoat matched.  What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Joey Baker
euphoria (hull #112)
St. Clair Shores, Michigan