[C38] Companionway doors project on its way...

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 19 08:34:43 EST 2011

Joey: I would recommend trying to save the teak trim. Find a good
explanation of how to clean, fill, then then varnish it. We did 8 coats
on Discreet Charm, and it is beautiful. We have Sunbrella covers to keep
the sun off of the varnish. Even if you pay a professional to varnish,
the cost will be comparable to fabricating new trim. Can send images if
you desire.
Regards, Don

On 1/18/11 10:44 AM, Joey Baker wrote:
> When I bought euphoria this past summer, the hatch boards were
> deteriorated to the point of being unusable.  I didn't want to spend
> too much money on it at the time so I picked up some King Starboard
> from a local marine lumber supplier and used the dimensions of the
> teak pieces to replicate them with the Starboard.  As you can see in
> the attached photo, the wood trim is in very poor shape.  I'm trying
> to decide if I should go with composite and/or stainless
> replacements.  The Starboard material doesn't have a smooth surface
> and can be difficult to keep clean.  That is why I went with the off
> white color.  I was thinking of fabricating molds for the trim pieces
> and have them laid up by a local shop that does fiberglass work.  I
> think that would look decent if the gelcoat matched.  What do you guys
> think?
>

> Cheers,
> Joey Baker
> euphoria (hull #112)