[C38] I own a Sailrite sewing machine

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 19 12:17:42 EST 2011

Max:
     I have owned one for 30 years and have lots of experience with
these things.
First they are modified commercial machines, and the make-model has
changed for Sailrite over the years. Second they are really heavy.
Third, they do the job that they are meant for pretty well, if you know
how to sew and know the limitations of the particular machine.
     However, unless you are (have a friend who is a willing and) a
really good seamstress, and have the right kind of large space with
bench set up to lay out the material, you are bound to be less than
satisfied with the result. It takes a good seamstress with the right
benches to sew pretty stitch lines.
     I use sailmakers and canvas shops for the pretty stuff. My full
boat cover is old and well cared for. It protects the boat from the sun
and rain. I repair it with the Sailright: new zippers, resew seams,
grommets, etc. The seams in it don't have to be too pretty, and I save
by doing the work myself.  I have also recently sewed a new Sunbrella
sun cover for the Inflatable, which rides on top of the house; the seam
lines that I sewed are pretty good, but not professional.
Photos of my work if you so desire.
Regards, Don

On 1/19/11 9:00 AM, Max Soto wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I was thinking of getting  a sewing machine for my future mainsail
> cover and dodger, and of course constant sail repairs!!!!
> Any of you with with experience with the Sailrite machines???? Any
> comments??  Do any of you have one that is not using and will like to
> sell????
>

> --
> Max Soto
> C38 #198 ESTANCIA