[C38] Water Leak

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 21:27:57 EST 2011

Not all plastic is created equally.  Nylon is strong and lightweight but deforms with any heat or strain.  PVC and CPVC and other home type plastic fittings are not very strong or flexible in rough conditions like marine use.  They are not approved for thru-hulls for that reason.

The Marlon fittings are lightweight, strong, and very expensive.  Bronze is probably the best choice but it's heavy and wicks heat from the hot water heater causing a loss of efficiency unless well insulated.  The Marlon fittings have less heat conductivity and other than their expense, they may be the best overall solution for hot water connections.  Avoid brass.  Many people confuse brass for bronze but brass dissolves (corrodes) in a salt environment.  It's cheaper than bronze but still not a bargain.

Anyway, that is just my opinion and not necessarily the final word on this subject.  I think Marlon may be the only fitting material I haven't destroyed in my nautical career.  (Destruction is my middle name)

Before I answered this email, I did a quick search on "Marlon" and in 5 minutes I wasn't any smarter about Marlon than before I started but I now know tons of worthless trivia about Marlon Brando which I don't think will appreciably improve my life.

Tom Troncalli