[C38] Water Leak

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 14 19:15:02 EST 2011

Hi, Guys,
	I just remembered one other leak I had.  I may have mentioned it
before... When we got JACE there was a freshwater fitting with regulator
in the anchor locker.  I didn't ever use it, and mostly forgot about it.
But one night at anchor, the water pump started cycling every few
seconds.  I figured I had a leak, and went bilge diving, but there was
no freshwater anywhere that I could find.  Turned the pump off, and
hoped for the best.  When daylight came, we turned on the pump and wow,
we were out of freshwater.  Good thing I always carry a couple of gallon
jugs of bottled water, and of course a lot of soda pop (we are non
drinkers, so I bet others have some other beverage).

	That darn pressure regulator had holed, and water was running down the
anchor locker and out the little drain.  We found it by tying up to a
dock, filling the tank, and tracing all the lines.  When I found the
line going to the anchor locker area, I went outside and opened the
locker, and sure enough there was a nice trickle going down in the
locker and out the locker drain.  I stubbed off that hose, and it is
still in there.  This hose is on the outlet side of the house water
pump, so that dock water doesn't go into the tank and pressurize it.

	I don't know if that is the place others put that regulator, but keep
an eye on it.  Such diaphram regulators typically last 10-15 years I've
been told.

Regards,
les H