[C38] Cat 38 dues

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:03:08 EST 2011

I agree with Joe that we have a relatively small surplus at the moment and,
that [we] could use some promotion or other activity to 1) bolster our
membership and/or 2) maintain the perceived value/desirability of [our]
classic yachts.  I specifically use "classic" here because we have we have a
vessel that has widespread visual recognition and timeless, graceful
lines...and as we all know they are well built and will last long into the
future.

I would propose that $25 is affordable and a non-burden, even in this
economy.  Given that, that we should continue at this dues amount at least
for another year and use the year to form a strategy which leverages some
amount of our "surplus" to the benefit of the fleet.

Steve Ribble
Tittravate, #64

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net> wrote:

>  Steve,
>     Do not cut the dues. The surplus is relatively small for an
> organization like ours. I would suggest the spending of a prudent amount of
> money on promotion of the fleet. We could make a list of major boat shows
> and get volunteers in the area to man a booth. (Catalina formerly had one
> that provided us space free for the Anapolis show I did). We could make up a
> poster and flyers. The more members we get - the more our data base of
> experiences. There were 366 38's built so our market penetration is still
> low. Joe Launie/Macavity
>
> On 2/17/2011 11:22 AM, S Orton wrote:
>
> Ahoy All,
> This is your humble treasurer speaking.  I am soliciting your dues ($25)
> via email this year.  For those who joined at mid year and paid full price
> ($25), please email me so I can give your prorated dues for 2011(
> ssorton at hotmail.com).  I will wait about 30 days and send out snail mail
> reminders to those who didn't respond to the email request.
>
> At present our treasurery stands at $2051.97.  Our annual expenses are $800
> to $900 for the MAINSHEET member subscriptions and about $120 for our web
> server provider.  The rest goes to promote our beloved boats- like the Cat
> 38 Nationals, which there is also an entry fee.  We presently have 65
> members which five are are Canadian neighbors and one off shore.  So doing
> the math (65 x $25 = $1625), we are collecting to much money.  So we need to
> get a National's going, maybe in other areas beside the sunny So. Cal or
> have regional get-to-gether's, say for 5 or more boats.  These events need
> to be planned in advance!  Other wise we need to cut the dues.  Any of you
> skippers have suggestions or ideals, if so please speak up??
>
> My mailing address is, until May:
>  Steve Orton, Cat 38
>  29651 Wilhite Ln.
>  Valley Center, CA. 92082