[C38] Members joining this past week

Leslie G DeLong Leslie.G.Delong at aero.org
Sun Mar 6 17:31:39 EST 2011

Steve (I think),

This is being sent from my work email (leslie.g.delong at aero.org), which I
use daily.  I will be retiring at the end of this month, but there is a
possibility that I will continue with some part-time work for the company
(The Aerospace Corporation, a non-profit think tank that operates an
FFRDC, like Rand, JPL, Mitre, etc.), and they will likely let me keep the
internet account.

My home email is ldelong at socal.rr.com  , but I don't check it more than
weekly.

My phone numbers are below.

My residence address is:

Les DeLong
2444 W. 228th St.
Torrance, CA 90501

My interest in the C38 stems from a strong appreciation for its
esthetics...a beautiful boat.  It was my "someday" dream boat, until I had
a chance to sail with Larry Malmberg in the Nationals.  My reaction was
that, at my age it seemed like too much boat for me to single-hand (or
even double-hand), and the access to go forward on deck was a bit awkward
getting past the corner of the cabin and the shrouds.

I sailed pretty actively from about 1975 until 1990, and I owned a Cal-20,
a Santana 25' Quarter ton, and an Ericson 28+.  I still have a J24, which
is stored on its trailer, with flat tires, in Carson, CA, and I've never
actually sailed it.  It needs to go, soon.  I've thought I might try to
find a J28 some day, but right now I'm more into cars.

The C38 correspondence is a wonderful source of information, much of it
generally applicable to any sail boat.

The idea of being in the San Francisco Bay Area for the Americas Cup
events sounds like something I may be interested in, and (depending on
other commitments) you could count me as a possible volunteer.  (My
daughter lives in San Jose, and spending more time with her family is also
an attraction, as far as the Bay Area is concerned.)

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Les DeLong
Mission Assurance Technical Coordinator
Office of the Corporate Chief Engineer
The Aerospace Corporation