[C38] corrosion and Rigid Vang installation

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Mar 11 10:17:41 EST 2011

Steve:
We have a Garhauer rigid vang. Vigorous jibing by my kids ripped the
rivet-attached vang from the boom a couple of years ago. The rivet holes
had built up lots of corrosion in the 9 or so years since its
installation. The rivet heads pulled out through the corroded donuts
around the holes. There was not much corrosion between the vang bracket
and the boom. We reattached the bracket to the boom with 3/8" bolts, for
which we tapped holes into the boom. The kids haven't been able to wreck
the reinstall, yet.
Don

On 3/11/11 7:06 AM, Steven Ribble wrote:
> Hi Folks;
>
> So I just received my Garhauer rigid vang...all shiny and new...can't
> decide if I want to put it on the boat or over the mantel! :)  OK, it
> will go on the boat...but with that comes the question "does anyone
> have any lessons learned that I should know about?" Max had indicated
> that I should/could put a plastic gasket (cut from a milk jug, etc)
> between the vang brackets and the mast/boom...what about the
> compression of the vang when the boom is "level" (mid-range of the
> vang?) and/or mounting height on the mast?  Anything else to plan for?
>
> --
> Steve Ribble
> Tittravate #64
> 207/852-0971