[C38] bow sprits

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 22:51:20 EDT 2011

Hi Steve and group,

I'm not an engineer but I would expect the loads on your spinnaker pole
could cause failure unless you can rig a dolphin striker and guy to an
eyebolt near the waterline to take the strains.   This would help vertical
loads but the side loads may still cause failure.  I know modern sprits are
now usually unsupported but they are also built like cannon barrels in the
strength department using carbon fiber and other exotic materials we
mortals usually never encounter.

As a side note, one nice thing about retracting or removable sprits is you
don't get the dubious pleasure of paying for having a larger boat at a
marina where they charge dockage by the foot.

Tom Troncalli

We'd