[C38] Different builds?

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sat Apr 2 11:44:33 EDT 2011

Dear John:
      Discreet Charm is C38 number 50 built in 1980. We all love the way
our boats sail, the large interior of C38s, and the superior
craftsmanship. So I will tell you what I don't like about them. Common
to all IOR boats is the pinched stern, which means no space aft. The C36
does not have a pinched stern. I also dislike the very restricted space
in the engine room. To be able to view amply and work around the engine
of a sailboat is a real plus that the C38 doesn't have.  Finally, the
early boats like mine have small fuel tanks, 20 gals, and replacement
with a larger fuel tank is a lot of work and expense.
     These are the only minuses that I have encountered in 8 years of
ownership. I will say that if I had the choice to repurchase my boat I
would. I would not buy a C36 because I think they look like pigs, and
appearance is a big part of the hedonic pleasure one takes from a yacht.
I wouldn't buy an Erickson to get the great engine access because they
don't sail nearly as well as a C38. The fuel limitation can be worked
around, it isn't a problem unless you were to want to cross oceans. I
don't think the C38 is a great ocean crossing boat, but I'm pretty much
a tyro about ocean crossing.
     I'll bet others have different opinions. I look forward to the
other responses to your question.
     Regards, Don

PS. Renovation and refitting is really expensive. Buy a boat that has
recently been renovated and refitted.