[C38] Different builds?

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 2 14:45:25 EDT 2011

JACE was built in 1981.  We have replaced the motor with a Universal
XP25B, changed the power panel to breakers, added more battery power and
of course had the bottom done and the mast refinished a few years ago.

I changed out the head hatch because it had been warped (probably from
catching a line in a gybe or something before I bought the boat).

I have kept the CNG system because I prefer it over the LPG systems.

There are few differences between the models.  Because they are older
boats, the care of the previous owner(s) is one of the main predictors
of boat desirability.  Also different upgrades look different to people,
so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  That said, you will make
changes to any boat you purchase.  What kind and how much will be
determined entirely by your wants and needs.

Among the things we have that some others don't is an inverter and a
windlass.  We like our coffee from our electric pot, so that justified
the inverter to us.  I added two solar panels over the dodger to help
keep the batteries topped up at anchor and on the buoy (we don't have a
slip).  We don't use a whisker or spinnaker pole so the mounts on the
deck are not used.  For us having the footing is more important, and we
do not race.

These are the things that will affect how you customize your boat.  So
my advice is that if you think you will want to modify things, don't
look too much at cosmetics, look more at the hull, motor, mast and sails
as these are the big ticket items.  Check the blocks and winches to make
sure they turn well, and hire a surveyor for any boat you intend to
purchase.

JACE is for sale, make me an offer.

Regards,