[C38] crossing oceans, Thanks

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sun Apr 3 14:09:01 EDT 2011

Don,
I had something to do with the cockpit size. I have known Frank  Butler
since before he started Catalina. Years ago I bought a new Catalina 30.
One of the first ones with a tiller, Atomic 4 gas engine etc. I  was in
Frank's office discussing a warranty item when he mentioned he had the
plug for the 38 almost finished. I had just completed a 2 day race( Los
Angeles - around San Nickolas Island and return)on a Yankee 38, whose
design (and hull mold) was used for the 38. The Yankee has a huge, very
uncomfortable cockpit because it has a flush deck. I told Frank I hoped
he made the 38 cockpit more comfortable. Five minutes later Frank and I
are sitting in the cockpit of the wooden plug. My comment was, "Much
more comfortable but this cockpit is huge if we get pooped." Frank said
to the woodworker, "Bring the house back 6 more inches. " Therefore the
last 6 inches of your salon is mine. Joe Launie/Macavity