[C38] Starter removal

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 10 12:55:05 EDT 2011

It's been several years since I rebuilt my starter but as you have discovered, it is difficult.

I disconnected the battery and reached the starter bolts with swivel sockets on a long extension.  Since you will be working around the hot lead to the solenoid it is essential you disconnect the starter battery and stay away from the battery switch.

If you need or think you may need another solenoid, now is the time to replace it.  I found an identical solenoid that fit an Asian car for a small fraction of the price of the Universal solenoid.  The units were absolutely identical including mold markings and numbers, etc.  I don't have the source and part number handy but someone else may have that information that I shared here a few years ago.

I may be able to find the solenoid information if no one else comes up with it.

Tom Troncalli