[C38] gasoline to diesel

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 13 10:39:53 EDT 2011

Upgrades? To a previously owned sailboat with an Atomic 4 that we called
"The Antichrist," the key upgrade would have been an upgrade to diesel.
That engine failed regularly, especially in narrow Florida inlets with
running tides. It caught fire off and on. We sold the boat. The PO of
our C38, Discreet Charm installed a Yanmar 3GM, which has worked
flawlessly for the 9 years of our ownership.  The rest of the PO's
upgrades are nice too: dodger, standing rigging, wiring, cushions,
mattress, etc. The Yanmar is my favorite, however.