[C38] Best upgrades

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Apr 13 11:12:28 EDT 2011

This has really got me thinking.  Both about all I have done and what
remains on the list!

I think the best upgrades over the years have been:
1. Headsail furler.  I have never had a problem with my Profurl system
and sailing single/short handed makes this a must.
2. Chart Plotter.  What did I do without this?  I still love my charts
and am pretty good about using both.  But I have a LOT of peace of mind
with this on board! Especially while night sailing.
3. Cut-out in port lazzerette.   Access to critical components was not
possible (I am way too big and creaky).
4. Marriage Savers!  (hands free headset radios)

I think my wife would say:
1. New boat cushions.  She could not stand the musty fuel smell that
would not go away.
2. Propane stove and cabin heater.  It was very hard to get CNG and we
always seemed to run out at the worst times!  I used to carry a
two-burner portable propane stove that we seemed to use too much due to
the CNG issues.  The heater really extends our cruising time in the fall
when we love to see the leaves change.
3. Headsail furler.
4. The "Marriage Savers."  I think perhaps the issue that is most likely
to lead to divorce on our boat is anchoring!  While we practiced many
hand signals and tried our best.... things almost always devolved to
"one signal" that involves the middle finger....  The only thing I now
worry about when anchoring is if the 9 volt batteries of the marriage
saver have died (I keep 4 batteries in reserve as a double backup).

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn,  #114
Great Lakes