[C38] Best upgrades

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:58:41 EDT 2011

Ok, I use Estancia for coastal cruising and ocacional non official races, so
the most important apgrades that I have done to Estancia, a 1982 C38 from
her original condition are:

1- Headsail furler: Estancia came with hank on sails.
2- Leading all the halyards aft to the cockpit by installing mast collar and
turning blocks, clutches and winches
3- The work I have done to the electrical panel. For me, this was the
weakeast link on a Catalina 38. Check the pics on my blog
www.svestancia.blogspot.com
4- Replaced the 1/4" headstay chainplate for a 1/2" chainplate. It  had lots
of cracks. Now I have peace of mind!
5- Installing oil pressure meter, high coolant temperature and dc generation
alarm
6- Stern shower
7- bimini (in Costa Rica is a must have!)
8- Solar panels
9- Inverter for microwave and tv!
10- I have a 45lbs CQR anchor, so an electric windlass will be next on my
list!
11- Estancia came without the spinnaker package, but at least, the track and
ring were installed onthe front of the mast, so I had to buy the spinnaker,
the pole, lines and need to install the lewmar 30's for the spinnaker.
12- GET FOOT BLOCKS!!!! last weekend I was using a snatch block instead and
they exploded....weren't made for this purpose...
13- Cockpit table
14- lazy jack or stack pack for the mainsail.
15- full batten mainsail made a huge difference from the original sail.....

If I come with anything else, I'll let you know...

Regards,

max

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA