[C38] rubber non skid

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 15:59:58 EDT 2011

My 38 was a shoal draft with the cutlass bearing molded into the skeg that ran aft from the keel.

If I turned my rudder full turn I could just slide the shaft past it.  This was also with a new and tight cutlass bearing.  The rake of the forward edge of the rudder gave me just enough clearance.

Even with the strut mounted cutlass bearings you may free up some clearance if you release one of the steering cables on the steering quadrant to allow the rudder to turn more.  A 90 degree would yield the most clearance but I am not aware if that would suffice for the deep fin standard keel models with the cutlass bearing mounted in a strut.

Tom Troncalli