[C38] Catalina smile

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun May 29 12:19:26 EDT 2011

Hi, Michael,
	The list has several articles on the smile, and some boats have wood
and some apparently don't.  I believe there was one article describing
replacing the wood with fiberglass.
	The smile typically results from how the boat is blocked when it is on
the hard, or from contact with the bottom while moving.  If you have the
smile and it is just a small crack at the joint, it is probably not too
problematic, if there is a gap, that could be a sign of more interest.
I am not familiar with the shoal draft keel and its relevance to the
smile, so maybe one of the other owners could comment more on that.

Regards,