[C38] Hove to

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 00:30:37 EDT 2011

I heave-to a lot in San Francisco Bay where the wind is easily 25knots
or more. During these heavier winds I find that I have to reef the jib
to about 30% in order to reduce forward motion to an acceptable level.
With a full jib I get about a knot and a half or more (unless the
winds 15 or less). I turn the wheel almost all the way to weather
though, about a quarter turn away from maximum.
I haven't tried heaving-to without a forward sail though. Now I need
to look this up.

Cheers