[C38] Overheat False Alarm

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 12:53:18 EDT 2011

David,
What do you mean by "again"?? What happened the first time and how did you
solved it?
If the temp gauge rises all the way up, check that the wire coming out of
the sender is not touching anything else on it's way to the gauge it maight
be  making ground somewhere along its way, if not, check your sender and the
gauge)....

Regards,

Max

2011/6/5 <david at dlrfilms.com>

> My engine is back to doing that thing where the temp gauge climbs, the
> alarm goes off, but the engine itself is not even too hot to touch, and I
> can stick my finger in the coolant without getting scalded.
>
> This problem plagued our 2008 and 2009 Summer sailing, but wasn't too big
> a concern because we never ran the engine for more than about 5-10
> minutes.
>
> Thought I had it licked before our passage to the Caribbean in Nov 2009,
> and indeed, ran the motor for hours on end with no such problem.
>
> But now it's back, and with the wind out of the SE, that means getting
> back into the harbor is a long enough run to get the overheat false alarm.
>
> IIRC, cracking the thermostat housing open would (usually) solve the
> problem.
>
> The other thing I notice is that coolent is not following through the
> overflow tube to the reserve tank. It's not blocked; it seems like there's
> a air bubble that's keeping the coolant from flowing.
>
> I remember something about running the engine, and then adding more
> coolant after it burps or some such. I have my manual and will re-read.
>
> Meanwhile, any helpful hints are much appreciated.

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica