[C38] Engine Woe's

Larry Malmberg Larrypi at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 13 16:32:36 EDT 2011

Hi all, in 09 after completing the Newport Beach CA to Ensenada BC Mexico
Race I looked into the bilge of Hassle and found some oil residue.  Further
checking showed a leaky rear main seal, not significant leak, a drop here
and there.  A neighbor on our docks has a Catalina 38 and I knew he had the
engine pulled, rebuilt and re installed.  I talked to him about it and he
told me he would NEVER do that again, given the cost it was cheaper to buy a
new engine and have it installed.  I found one in Costa Mesa, a Universal 3
cylinder diesel (Kubota) and was able to make a deal on it for 7200 bucks
cash.  The guys that did the neighbors engine removed the old one and
installed the new one for about 2K, there was some modifications that has to
be made but it was worth it.

When I acquired Hassle in 05 I asked the prior owner's mechanic what he
would do to her if it was his boat.  He told me that he would put a new
engine in her if he was going to go cruising but for local stuff the current
engine was OK.  Turns out a new one worked better.  It has more HP that the
old one and you can actually see down the sides of the engine, check the oil
and replace the dip stick without feeling around for the hole.  Just a ton
of better use with the new one.  So break out those Boat Bucks folks.  LOL

Best regards,

Larry Malmberg
Team Hassle