[C38] Engine Woe's

Rick Swensson rswensson at cox.net
Mon Jun 13 20:15:25 EDT 2011

This is not an expert advisor but a good story.  About 5 years ago we were starting the Newport Ensenada Race in "Rascal" and the engine seized up while checking in to the race.  We had our main up so we sailed on a ways to trouble shoot the engine.  No way it would start.  I said, "Well, boys (and girls), this is a sailing race--we're not in cruising class and don't need the engine.  Whadda say?"  Long story short: we raced to Ensenada knowing we had no engine.  Sailed into Ensenada harbor (we got second I think) and put the boat in Baja Naval and bussed back.  Bought a used Universal 3 from the same outfit in Costa Mesa you used, Larry, and drove it down to ensenada in a pick up.  Rolled it out to the dock on a skateboard and switched it out using the main halyard in about 3 hours.  Made it back no problem to Newport.  Two weeks later the new one refused to start (cracked block).  We then had the original one rebuilt and put it back in--got credit for the bum engine.  Like you say, Larry, its just Boat Bucks.  Hey, I wonder if you bought our old engine?

Rick
"Rascal" Hull 0183