[C38] Rudder cable adjustment

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:55:06 EDT 2011

Pierre: Yes I have, not once but twice, taken the steering quadrant
apart. Both times the objective was to replace the packing material on
the rudder shaft. The first time I failed. The second time I sought lots
of advice and got it right. I'm 5'8" 180 lbs and will barely fit on my
back behind the engine, entering through the passage from the sail
locker, as you describe. This is not fun. That pinched stern is the
worst design aspect of our boats. Good luck, amigo! We are rootin' fer ya!
Regards, Don

On 6/15/11 9:38 AM, Pierre Patino wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I need to adjust the cable that goes around the radial wheel drive. It
> terminates on each side with a loop which is secured by an eye-bolt.
> The eye-bolt applies tension as nuts are tightened. On the stern side,
> I can't get to the nuts with standard tools. I can touch and grasp
> them with my fingers but no wrench I own would fit in the space let
> alone be able to apply torque. On the side towards the bow and behind
> the engine there's an opening in the port lazarette  from which I can
> see the wheel and its bolts but I would have to get a very very deep
> socket with a very very long extender.  Has anyone tackled this
> problem and hopefully solved it?
>
> Thanks in advance

Donald R. Strong
C38 Discreet Charm