[C38] Found a good engine here- Is it too big???

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 17:29:44 EDT 2011

When the engine was replaced by the previous owner to a Yanmar 3GM30, he
kept the original Catalina water lift muffler and the through hull exit.
These were 1 5/8" diameter.  Yanmar specifies a 2" diameter for this engine
and my big project for last winter was replacing the exhaust system.  I
bought a 2" in and 2" out Centek Vernalift muffler, 2" hose, and had an
elbow shaped stainless through hull made up.  A 2" hose has 1.5 times the
area of a 1 5/8" hose.  The exhaust is much more "relaxed" now and I think
the engine runs smoother.  It also seems to have cured my oil consumption
problem.  If you buy the 3JH4E, I would definitely recommend going with the
Yanmar recommended 3" exhaust.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA