[C38] overheat

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 16 20:21:10 EDT 2011

Those were my thoughts also Paul.  Unless the pistons are scuffed the 5424
is probably salvageable. Even if the pistons are scuffed, an overhaul on
that engine is pretty easy once you get the #$%^ out of the boat.

The main problem overhauling a Universal diesel is the price of parts.  If
you use Kobota parts it brings down the price to just incredibly
ridiculously expensive instead of the much higher Zimbabwe like pricing
Universal uses.  I once pulled my cylinder head and wanted a new head
gasket.  Back in 1994 the price was over $150 for just a head gasket from
Universal.  I reinstalled the old head gasket and it never failed in the
following 16 yrs of service.

I'd hate to have to replace something expensive like a real part!

Tom Troncalli

, I had one on a 4 wheel drive tractor that I abused for 7,400 hours befor
I broke it , and then only because of trying to lift something far beyond
the capacity of the front loader on the tractor.