[C38] This Might Work

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Fri Jun 17 07:26:01 EDT 2011

Just a quick charter update.

Two weeks since our launch and about 5 trips so far, including our
disastrous season opener, which was a fully booked Sunset Cruise on what
turned out to be a very cold, very windy Saturday night. Sailing across
the lake to the pick up point on main along we were dead down wind on main
along and flying along so fast we had both scuppers flooding. 20 minutes
after picking up our guests we were back on the dock, "Sorry folks. It's
too windy, too cold, and not enough fun. Here's your money back."

But with an opener like that things can only improve, and they have.

The best part so far is seeing people's faces light up when they've got
the tiler in their hand and the boat drops into the groove. Our boats
gives such great feedback when you're doing it right. Last night I was
hanging off the port side shrouds, shooting back at the cockpit with a
guest's camera. They'd never sailed before, but now they have a picture of
him on the tiller and her on the sheets, barreling along at hull speed on
beam reach at sunset. Lovely!

My hands, knees, shins and feet have all manner of nicks, cuts and bruise;
and I've lost 10 pounds in the last four weeks. This might just work out.

-David