[C38] Found a good engine here- Is it too big???

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 17 15:13:25 EDT 2011

Hello Larry,

What a neat looking engine installation.  Very neat and clean.  Mine never
looked that good.

One thing I did notice is the open flame arrestor on the throttle body air
intake of the engine which tend to be noisy.

If you make an air tube to collect the engine intake air from aft in the
rear of the engine compartment, you will decrease engine noise considerably.

The next time you run your engine, just hold a piece of common home dryer
vent hose over the intake flame arrestor and point the open end back toward
the steering quadrant and you will see what I mean.

I think intake noise is probably the noisiest part of our exhaust muffled
engines.  If you make your intake long, you can have a fairly large tube
allowing for no restrictive loss of power and still get a noticeable noise
reduction.

By terminating the hose pointing aft you will send any residual noise away
from the cabin.  Any slight turns in the hose will help dampen noise also.

If you take me up on this suggestion, you will then have a "to do" project
for your obviously otherwise perfect boat.

Tom Troncalli

<listserve at catalina38.org>