[C38] Found a good engine here- Is it too big???

Richard West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sat Jun 18 14:09:47 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Just to add two cents here, I put in a Yanmar 3YM30 and I'm happy with it.
 I think it has about the same power, maybe just a touch less, than my old
Universal M-35.  I don't get the kind of speed that I've heard in this
discussion.  I see about 6 knots in flat water, no wind at full cruising
RPM, which is about 2800 RPM.  If there's wind or chop, I'm down to 5 knots
or so.  I have a three blade maxprop.  I think I need to pitch it up just a
bit as I can exceed 3200 RPM at full throttle.  Keep in mind that my boat is
way overweight - the waterline has been raised twice!  The scale at the last
haul out read 20,000 lbs.

I'm really happy with the engine.  As I understand it, the YM series is like
the GM but with a redesigned intake that's supposed to make it quieter. It
is a very quiet, smooth engine.  I went to the recommended 2-1/2" exhaust
when I installed the engine.  It wasn't a very difficult modification.  I
did change the water lift. It was a good thing I did as I found that the ice
box had no insulation between it and the water lift.  It takes a lot less
energy to keep the refrigerator cold now.

The installation was pretty easy and the engine bed didn't require
modification, though I still should put a couple of spacers under the front
engine mounts as they're towards the top of their adjustment.

My only complaint about the yanmar so far is that the exhaust elbow/riser
didn't last very long.  I had to replace it due to plugging from corrosion
after about 18 months.  I don't remember the price but I don't remember it
being too high.

By the way, does anyone have any good suggestions as to where to buy parts
for less $$$ online?  I need to buy a lot of spares for our upcoming trip.

Hope this helps someone in some way.

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles