[C38] Mor(on) Overheating

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Tue Jun 21 09:12:41 EDT 2011

So I found the drain plug at the lower port forward corner. Have not had
the chance to do a flush and fill from the bottom. (Still a little
confuzelled how I'm going to fill from the bottom.)

I did take the thermostat out, and ran the engine with the coolant level
about 1 inch from topped off. I could see a steady flow of coolant coming
in from the thermostat housing to the forward inlet on the tank.

I have noticed that I was not getting any flow from the two-way radiator
cap into the overflow tank, and the previous owner had mentioned sometimes
it would stop for no apparent reason.

I fiddled with the cap for a while, wondering if it was clogged or jammed,
but couldn't find anything, so I just removed the lower gasket and tried
it that way.

No luck.

Plenty of flow through the cap and out to the overflow tank, but the
engine temp still climbed in short order, yet the coolant itself was cool
enough to stick my finger in.

Considering I could actually *see* the coolant flowing, this was quite
frustrating.

Also, when I ran with the cap off, it seemed like their were bubbles
coming up. It made me wonder if the system might be aspirating air, and
(re)creating a bubble.

Help?

Meanwhile, drain, flush, refill.

Argh!