[C38] eBay Starter?

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 15:11:50 EDT 2011

Hello again Dave,

If that starter does fit your engine and it also has the solenoid already
attached, it is a true bargain at $100.

One standard procedure on any part replacement is to lay both old and new
parts beside each other and look for anything that isn't identical.  I once
had a technician in my shop NOT do this on a water pump replacement and the
impeller on a remanufactured pump was a mirror image of what should have
been on the pump.  The car overheated unless it was run at very low RPMs.
It took a lot of wasted time to finally figure out why that car was still
overheating after the pump replacement and all of other things in the
cooling system checked out OK.

One other word of caution.  Check the starter operation by connecting
jumper cables to the starter, negative cable to the flange and the red
positive cable to the solenoid post.  Have one person hold the starter very
strongly while another person uses a screwdriver or other conductive object
to short between the positive terminal on the solenoid and the small
starter activation wire post.  You may need a small jumper cable to do this
if the screwdriver won't reach between both posts.  This will check the
solenoid and also the starter but hold onto the starter very strongly
because the startup torque is pretty powerful.  A new starter will usually
work but I wouldn't want to go through what it takes to install a starter
on a 5424 and find out it has a problem.  I have seen new starter motors
right out of a box which didn't work. It was usually a defective coil in
the solenoid but it can happen.

Tom Troncalli

;-)