[C38] Garhauer Vang advice

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:58:20 EDT 2011

Chuck, my heart goes out to you and everyone else affected by this
tragedy...it has not been in the news, but certainly no less important than
the other natural disasters taking place across the country.

As for the Vang and cunningham, while I am still learning how to deal with
it, I have learned a couple of things.  First, you definitely want the mast
attachment point as low as possible.  I had the same problem you do in that
my cunningham was snapped to the same mast bale as my rope vang.  My
solution was to place a stainless ring around the top of the vang bracket to
snap shackle my cunninghan to.  I can't get a picture of it before you need
it, but attached are a couple pics I had that might help a little; one is
before I figured this out (you can even see the empty rope clutch where the
cunningham is supposed to be) and one after. The ring was surplus from
attaching a block to my reef point for a single line reef...I would guess it
to be about 1-1/2" dia.

The other things you will want to do is be sure your mast is shimmed well (I
have found that the rigid vang affects the mast differently than the rope
and have shaken our  my shims a couple of times) and you will want to lock
your boom to prevent it from rotating by drilling a hole through the boom
and gooseneck fitting and pinning it in place (otherwise you will twist the
vang fittings/pins apart).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Steve Ribble
207/852-0971